The 2014 Disney Beer Tournament – Second Round
All voting is closed and the champion has been crowned. Click here to find out who is the 2014 Disney Beer Tournament Champion!
In just three short days, 32 beers have moved onto the second round of the Disney Beer Tournament, and 32 beers have been eliminated!
The first round has already set a new tournament record for total votes cast; over 6,000 votes were cast in the first round! We really appreciate all the retweets, likes, shares, and conversation on Twitter and Facebook. Also, we’re quite grateful to the Orlando Sentinel’s The Daily Disney for the great article about the tournament.
The second round will end at 6:00 PM Sunday, March 23, 2014. At that time, the votes will be counted and the third round will be posted Monday, March 24, 2014.
First, here’s the updated bracket (click to enlarge).
Let’s start with the Mickey region! Lots of upsets here, so let’s review.
Big winners include:
- Victory Hopdevil IPA came back late and upset Safari Amber
- Key West Sunset Ale squeezing out a tight match against Kona Longboard Lager
- Terrapin Hopsecutioner “hopsecutioning” Birra Moretti
- Stone Arrogant Bastard destroying Chimay Red
— Gregory Lane Nichols (@lanenichols) March 17, 2014
Of course, we can’t go without mentioning the formation of #teamgrapefruit on Twitter, and Schöfferhofer Grapefruit won handily. The most commented on match was also in the Mickey region, and it wasn’t as close as some would think. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA beat Unibroue Trois Pistoles with 64% of votes cast. Altenmünster Oktoberfest also won big with 80% of the vote over Shock Top.
Here’s your chance to vote for the Mickey region beers in the second round!
The Minnie region is up next!
Upsets in the Minnie region include:
- A huge victory (74%) for Terrapin Rye Pale Ale over Blue Moon
- Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale edged out Abita Turbodog with 56% of the vote
- Kona Castaway IPA won at the last moment with just one more vote than Florida Beer Company Swamp Ape IPA
Bud Light had its usual poor performance against Ace Apple Hard Cider. However, the match between Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA and Sierra Nevada Torpedo was extremely close, but Dogfish Head squeezed out a win here. The rest of the winners, Cigar City Jai Alai IPA, Abita Purple Haze, and Guinness Draught, won easily.
Cast your second round votes for the Minnie region now!
The Donald region results are in. Let’s take a look.
Ciders lost big time in the first round of the Donald region, including the second seed Angry Orchard Hard Cider – Crisp Apple. Both Angry Orchard (26%) and Ace Joker Hard Cider (19%) flopped, giving the fifteen seed Widmer Hefeweizen and seven seed Kronenbourg 1664 easy wins. Ace Apple Hard Cider may have won simply because it faced Bud Light in the Minnie region.
Tighter matches in Donald included:
- A 53% – 47% win for the top seed Yuengling over Unibroue Éphémère (Apple). Is Yuengling going to last long?
- A two vote win for the eleven seed Birra Moretti La Rossa against Radeberger Pilsner
Bigger winners were:
- Three seed Hoegaarden (76% over Bedele)
- Ommegang Three Philosophers upsetting the four seed Hövels with 72% of votes cast
- Fifth seed Rogue Dead Guy Ale defeating Magic Hat #9 with 67% of the vote
- Cigar City Florida Cracker White Ale (71%) easily defeating Frozen Kirin Ichiban Draft in the eight vs. nine seed match
Here are the second round matches for the Donald region. Cast your votes!
Finally, let’s review the Goofy region’s first round.
Only two upsets occurred in the Goofy region:
- In the seven seed vs. ten seed match, Bass Ale pulled an upset over Stella Artois with 60% of the vote
- Napa Smith Organic IPA handed the eight vs. nine seed match to Anchor Steam, who received 72% of votes cast
@beersandears Saison Dupont and Left Hand Milk Stout nearly brought me to tears. This is tough stuff!
— Nerds in Wonderland (@WonderlandNerds) March 17, 2014
However, just because the top six seeds win doesn’t mean they all won easily.
- Three seed Abita Amber only earned 56% of votes over Orange Blossom Pilsner
- Schöfferhofer Weizen, the fifth seed, squeezed out a win over Boddingtons English Pub Ale with 53% of the vote
- Sixth seeded Saison Dupont went back and forth with Left Hand Milk Stout and secured victory with only 54%
Top seed Chimay Blue (Grande Reserve), second seed Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale, and fourth seed Young’s Double Chocolate Stout all won more easily against Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat, Hakim Stout, and Full Sail Session Black respectively.
The Goofy region matchups for the second round are below. Cast your votes!
Remember, the polls will close Sunday, March 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM CDT. At that time, we’ll review the results and post the third round Monday, March 24.